The Official RONR Q & A Forums

rescind an officer nomination

Guest Janet Wylie

How do you rescind a nomination that a local club put in to nominate a national officer?

I don't believe there is a process to do so, beyond the possible withdrawal of the nomination by the nominating member/club. The officer could indicate that "if nominated, I will not run, if elected, I will not serve", in hopes that no votes are foolishly cast for him/her, which can always happen regardless.

The word "rescind" has a specific parliamentary significance which also is not applicable here, just to be picky. But your meaning is clear, nonetheless.

I don't believe there is a process to do so, beyond the possible withdrawal of the nomination by the nominating member/club. The officer could indicate that "if nominated, I will not run, if elected, I will not serve", in hopes that no votes are foolishly cast for him/her, which can always happen regardless.

The word "rescind" has a specific parliamentary significance which also is not applicable here, just to be picky. But your meaning is clear, nonetheless.

Actually, I think the word "rescind" is the word to use here, since this nomination must have been agreed to by the club's adoption of a motion to submit it.

It may well be too late to rescind it, but that's another question.

It may well be too late to rescind it, but that's another question.

I'd like to pursue that other question in light of the thread that Mr. Foulkes linked to (above) in which I repeated my assertion that a nomination can't be withdrawn; a position with which, I think, Mr. Honemann disagrees. My argument, then, was that if I make a nomination it's my nomination, not the nominee's.

But I now wonder if another argument is that once a nomination is made it's too late to withdraw (or, in this instance, rescind) it. In other words, the cat is out of the bag. The action "authorized" by the nomination has been completed.

I'd like to pursue that other question in light of the thread that Mr. Foulkes linked to (above) in which I repeated my assertion that a nomination can't be withdrawn; a position with which, I think, Mr. Honemann disagrees. My argument, then, was that if I make a nomination it's my nomination, not the nominee's.

But I now wonder if another argument is that once a nomination is made it's too late to withdraw (or, in this instance, rescind) it. In other words, the cat is out of the bag. The action "authorized" by the nomination has been completed.

This is going to do nothing but cause confusion. It's mixing up what a nominee can do with what an individual making a nomination can do, with what a club adopting a motion to submit a nomination can do. :)

There might also be some timing issues, as well.

Let's say that the local club put forward a motion to nominate local member, say, Jack Harkness, to serve on the national board. The national board will be holding an election, where Jack would be running against other nominees from other locals.

Presumably, there's some ballots being prepared, and Jack's name would be printed on these ballots due to (a) the action of Jack in accepting the club's nomination, and (B) the action of the club in making a motion to nominate him for the national board, and © any action taken by the national association in confirming local nominations are in order, or printing ballots.

At some point, the local club may go to the national association to say, hey, we changed our mind, and we don't want Jack Harkess as our nominee - we want Gwen Cooper instead, as she is a better leader. Presumably, they took action to rescind their motion.

But the national association may well state that there was a certain time frame to get nominations in, your nomination was in good order, the time frame has now closed, and Jack is running, case closed - cat's out of the bag.

Archived