The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abuse of Officers

Guest Robert

Our Bylaws state that any member that wants to run for office must submit their name to the President on or before July 31st. This year, I was the only member to submit myname to the current President to run for President.

The current officers held an "Executive Board" meeting and extended the nomination period for two weeks to which they promptly added their names to the nomination process.

Lastly, the officers have now called for an election at our annual convention. I have requested that the officers obtain a legal review of their actions but they refuse to do so. It is my opinion that they violated the bylaws without specific authority in our bylaws to do so.

Is there a way to stop what they are doing, or is what they are doing right?

Our Bylaws state that any member that wants to run for office must submit their name to the President on or before July 31st. This year, I was the only member to submit myname to the current President to run for President.

First of all, is this by ballot? And, if so, do your bylaws prohibit write-in votes?

The current officers held an "Executive Board" meeting and extended the nomination period for two weeks to which they promptly added their names to the nomination process.

This one might not make a difference, depending on the first question.

Lastly, the officers have now called for an election at our annual convention. I have requested that the officers obtain a legal review of their actions but they refuse to do so. It is my opinion that they violated the bylaws without specific authority in our bylaws to do so.

When do the bylaws say the election should be held?

You mention "run for office" and "nomination period." A nomination and "running for office" are not necessarily the same thing. Nominations and the nominating process are well defined in parliamentary law. "Running for office" is not; it could include posting candidate info in the organization's newsletter or speaking at certain events, whatever, etc. Not being able to run doesn't necessarily mean that one cannot be nominated.

Also, since nominations are not required for being elected to office, the fact that someone is not eligible to be nominate does not necessarily exclude that person from being elected and serving in the office.

Neither the officers nor the executive board can properly take any action in conflict of the bylaws, and any such action is null and void.

Our Bylaws state that any member that wants to run for office must . . .

You mention "run for office" and "nomination period." A nomination and "running for office" are not necessarily the same thing. Nominations and the nominating process are well defined in parliamentary law. "Running for office" is not . . .

Though, always suspicious of paraphrasing, I wouldn't be surprised if the bylaws did not actually refer to "running for office". Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Archived