The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest JC

Our bylaws state: "Two members of the same household may not serve concurrently". It does not say anything about 2 members of the same household running for office. If both members of the same household run for office and both are elected and one declines to accept the position is that still following the bylaws?

Well, why wouldn't it be (following the bylaws, that is)?

The bigger problem would seem to be if both are elected, and neither one declines. How do you solve that problem?

In any case, interpretation of bylaws is something the organization must deal with itself (in other words, this forum cannot provide much help on questions of bylaws interpretation).

The bigger problem would seem to be if both are elected, and neither one declines. How do you solve that problem?

Presumably the same method where an individual is elected to multiple offices but is ineligible to serve in both which I cannot recall off the top of my head (for shame!) but I know exists.

Presumably the same method where an individual is elected to multiple offices but is ineligible to serve in both which I cannot recall off the top of my head (for shame!) but I know exists.

Then the person must choose which office to hold. That's relatively easy, because it's one person making a decision.

But here there are two people, and if both are elected, they might each decide that they are the person who should serve.

But I think you could make the case that until that decision is made, neither of them can serve, because that would violate the bylaws.

Archived