The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board correspondence

Guest John

If it is sent from "the board," of course they have the right to approve it.

Though they might have to be present at the meeting where the letter was authorized in order to exercise that right. Assuming a quorum is present and the required voting threshold is met, "the board" can send a letter even if absent members haven't read it in advance.

I attended our annual Board meeting. During the open dialogue discussing the possible revision of our bylaws, I brought up my concerns about changing our condominium bylaws in particular permitting "seasonal rentals". After the meeting I received an email from the President of the Board. He did not send this email to anyone else, nor did he include the 2 other Board officers on the email. In the email he states his opinion and makes suggestions how we should or could change our bylaw restricting seasonal rentals to language permitting seasonal rentals under "hardship". Should he have sent me this email? Is it acceptable practice for a Board member to privately email a shareholder without Board oversight? Should he be attempting to influence me and my future vote? I strongly object to this back door intimidation, am I correct?

Should he have sent me this email? Is it acceptable practice for a Board member to privately email a shareholder without Board oversight? Should he be attempting to influence me and my future vote? I strongly object to this back door intimidation, am I correct?

It's a free country. And RONR doesn't concern itself with what takes place outside the context of a meeting. I'd tend to be happy the president thought so much of your ideas that he continued the "discussion" with you.

By the way, this forum works best if you post your new questions as a new topic. It's less confusing that way (even if you find an existing topic that's similar).

And are you sure this was the annual meeting of the board? The fact that you're discussing amendments to the bylaws makes me wonder if this wasn't the annual meeting of the condo association (at which the board may have played an inappropriately dominant role).

Archived