The Official RONR Q & A Forums

political comments at hoa general membership meeting

Guest Les A

Recently at a membership meeting, our president made a lengthy political statement. I believe it is improper for a board member to make political statements at an offical meeting. I would like to know if there is a rule prohibiting board members from this type of behavior. His comment was biased toward one of the presidential canidates and offensive to several homeowners who were in attendance. Thank you.

If you are alluding to the laws which govern nonprofit associations, you will need to consult a qualified attorney. We don't give legal advice in this forum.

In general, members should confine their remarks to the business at hand. Debate must be germane to the question before the meeting. The president, if he is presiding, should refrain from debate unless in a smallish board meeting.

Board members do not possess any special privileges at a meeting of the general membership.

I would like to know if there is a rule prohibiting board members from this type of behavior.

At a meeting of the general membership, the rules apply to all members, whether they happen to also be members of the board or not. So a board member would have the same rights, and the same obligations, as any other member. No more, no less. In other words, in this instance the fact that he is a board member is not relevant.

Recently at a membership meeting, our president made a lengthy political statement. I believe it is improper for a board member to make political statements at an offical meeting. I would like to know if there is a rule prohibiting board members from this type of behavior. His comment was biased toward one of the presidential canidates and offensive to several homeowners who were in attendance. Thank you.

From a parliamentary point of view, another member could have interrupted with a point of order -- for example, that the president was speaking with no motion before the assembly, or that the president's comments were not germane to the motion before the assembly (if there was such a motion). Even if there were a rule in RONR specific to this situation (e.g. if there were a rule that the presiding officer is not allowed to express an opinion on US presidential candidates) that rule would not be self-enforcing. In other words, another member must raise a point of order to challenge the actions of the member who is breaking a rule.

In the non-RONR world, one might say that someone has to have the guts to stand up and challenge rude behavior; otherwise the rude behavior is likely to continue.

Archived