The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How do you bring Discussion/lecturing to a close? Is there a motion to use?

Guest Tom Bennett

How does one limit debate or discussion? We have a situation where an individual will get the floor and then begin to lecture the group on a topic. Sometimes she will tell people why she will vote on a certain way. At times, she rambles. However, if we ask her to finish her lecture, she becomes hostile and says she has the right to speak and not be muzzled. The other board members are frustrated. Her talking can take up quite a bit of time and does not move the board forward.

Suggestions and recommendations are truly welcome.

Are you operating under the small board rules? They generally do not limit debate, but it's still the chair's responsibility to see that no member dominates or wastes the time of the board. The chair, or another member, may call Loquacious Lucy to order if necessary. "I call the member to order." This will seem formal and quaint to you, I'm sure, but some restoration of formality is necessary if you are to gain control over your meeting. If Lucy refuses to cooperate, she may be ejected from the meeting by majority vote.

Under the regular rules, members are limited to two speeches per question of no more than 10 minutes each, unless the assembly adopts a motion to Limit or Extend the Limits of Debate for a particular question.

I would suggest that a motion be made at your next meeting to limit debate or discussion per topic per individual to a set time limit. And then enforce the limit by means of something as simple as a stop watch or egg timer. If your soapbox Annie persists, then your Chair or President should rule her out of order and move to the next person or topic.

Archived