The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Jim

Could someone please advise me is it correct or a normal procedure to have one set of minutes for the committee members and a second far less informative set of minutes for the club members to read?

Committees don't usually prepare minutes. When their assigned task is completed, they present a report. In any case, there is only one set of minutes, anything else is, well, something else.

This is certainly not a procedure found in RONR. The minutes should contain a complete record of what was done at a meeting (they are not supposed to be a record of who said what, nor are they supposed to contain summaries of discussion). It may be that your 'more informative' minutes contain much more information than they should.

It's also worth noting that, as far as RONR is concerned, the minutes of a body can be read by the members of that body. If your committee minutes are being routinely handed out to club members (non committee members), presumably you are following your own custom rules in doing so.

Do the expurgated minutes (the ones given to the club members) actually leave out substantive material (e.g. are adopted motions being edited out of those 'minutes')?

edited after reading Edgar's post:

What sort of committee is this? Somehow I had pictured an 'executive committee' (which would keep minutes), but, as Edgar points out, a plain vanilla committee doesn't generally keep minutes in the first place...

It would appear there are two sets of minutes: 'Minutes' given only to committee members which include details of Insurance issues, staff issues, electrical certificates costs and raffle money raised. These minutes also contain a dialogue of who said what during the discussions taking place.

The second set are called 'Summary Minutes' which leave out the above mentioned topics.

I am not trying to pick fault with what the committe who work hard are doing I just think there should be only one set of minutes produced and on display for all members.

Archived