The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer who has resigned coming back

Guest Carol

I was President of a 501c3 organization and I resigned for personal reasons on November first. The other officers have not done anything at all to keep the group going. Several people have approached me and expressed an interest in running for an office to try to keep this group alive. We only have four officers, President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Now that I have resigned there are only three. The quorum is a majority of the officers so only two of the officers would have to be present to conduct business but it seems like they won't even be able to do that. The Vice President has MS and is not able to do anything at this time and the treasurer is MIA and won't return calls. The Secretary is willing to do whatever we need to do but she can't do it alone. I am willing to come back temporarily until we can fill the positions but I don't know if that's allowed or how to go about it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is a group who support the military and now that there are people to step in I would like to save it if at all possible.

I am willing to come back temporarily until we can fill the positions but I don't know if that's allowed or how to go about it.

Well, the current president (i.e. the former vice-president who became president when your resignation was accepted) would have to resign (or be removed from office). Then you'd have to be appointed to fill the vacancy (if your bylaws provide for that) or elected to fill the vacancy (if they don't). As far as RONR is concerned, you enjoy no special status because you used to be the president.

A resignation is a request to be excused from a duty, and as such must be accepted and acted upon (typically by an adopted motion) to take effect. This might be by the board, or by the membership, depending a bit on what your bylaws include regarding filling vacancies of office. Until that takes place, you would be able to withdraw your resignation and remain as President. Assuming your resignation hasn't been acted upon, notify whoever you sent/gave your resignation to that you are withdrawing it, show up at the next meeting, and continue on.

Thank you so much for the quick answers. According to the Secretary there has been no activity since my resignation. I emailed a resignation letter to the officers and heard nothing. I then emailed the resignation to the members and posted it to our Facebook page stating personal family reasons. I heard from the Treasurer asking if I would help with one more fundraiser and I heard from members of the group but no one every said anything about accepting my resignation. Does that mean that I am still President?

Does that mean that I am still President?

The short answer is yes. Of course, your bylaws or other rules may cover the effectiveness of resigning with more immediacy. Generally speaking, until your resignation is "accepted" by the body empowered to do so, it can be withdrawn unilaterally by you. So get those emails out and update your Facebook status asap. :) And next time, don't be so darned efficient!

Wow, so if I can get the VP to one more meeting then we can move forward. If she can't come and she resigns and I only have two officers at the next meeting can we accept her resignation even though we don't have a quorum? That may be a problem too, if we can't then we still can't do anything...

Wow, so if I can get the VP to one more meeting then we can move forward. If she can't come and she resigns and I only have two officers at the next meeting can we accept her resignation even though we don't have a quorum? That may be a problem too, if we can't then we still can't do anything...

No, you can't conduct business at a meeting that doesn't have a quorum.

Archived