The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Constitution and By-laws

Guest Snow White

In August, our general membership passed about 30 or so amendments to our constitution and by-laws.

It has just been discovered that the drafting of these amendments was not done according to the rules of our

constitution. In other words, these amendments should not have been brought to general membership for a vote.

I know all about making a point of order, but if these amendments become null and void, do we go back to our original

constitution? (There were so many changes made to the constitution and by-laws, that it is practically a new document.)

If we go back to the old constitution, this will bring up a new problem, but that will be discussed after this question is answered.

In August, our general membership passed about 30 or so amendments to our constitution and by-laws.

It has just been discovered that the drafting of these amendments was not done according to the rules of our

constitution. In other words, these amendments should not have been brought to general membership for a vote.

I know all about making a point of order, but if these amendments become null and void, do we go back to our original

constitution? (There were so many changes made to the constitution and by-laws, that it is practically a new document.)

If we go back to the old constitution, this will bring up a new problem, but that will be discussed after this question is answered.

If the adoption of bylaw amendments is null and void, then the bylaws have not been amended. They remain exactly as they were.

However, it is by no means clear from what you have posted that this is the case. What rules were violated?

It has just been discovered that the drafting of these amendments was not done according to the rules of our constitution. In other words, these amendments should not have been brought to general membership for a vote.

If your general members don't vote to approve changes to your bylaws, who does?

I understood the problem to be with the amendments themselves, not that they were adopted by the wrong body.

I understood the problem to be with the amendments themselves, not that they were adopted by the wrong body.

Might be me (so often is) but I'm with sMargaret for now:

.... our general membership passed about 30 or so amendments ....

............not done according to the rules ....

......... these amendments should not have been brought to general membership for a vote.....

So, to whom should these amendments have been brought for a vote, if not the general membership?

When you say "not done according to the rules, what rules? What do they say?

Might be me (so often is) but I'm with sMargaret for now:

So, to whom should these amendments have been brought for a vote, if not the general membership?

When you say "not done according to the rules, what rules? What do they say?

Perhaps they shouldn't have been brought to anyone. Perhaps something else needs to be satisfied before they be placed before the assembly.

Perhaps someone needs to rouse Sleeping Beauty (to cross reference fairy-tale creatures).

Archived