The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confusion on Vote

nickgirone

After discussion on a motion the President ask "All in Favor respond by saying Yes". Then he says, "All Opposed, Like Sign". I am new to this city council but not new to serving on Boards. This is the first time I ever heard a vote requested in this fashion. On an issue I was against, I inadvertently said "No" and my vote was recorded as a "Yes". this is also confusing to the public when you have 3 council members opposed to a question and have to say "yes" in order to be recorded as "no". the public believes everone is in favor. This has to be wrong.

I'd be confused as well. I would recommend you quietly approach the President before the next meeting and pointing out that there is confusion with the way he is putting the question (to a vote) refer him to RONR pp. 44-47 for how to correctly do so. If he does it again you should raise an immediate Point of Order that he isn't putting the question properly and cite RONR p. 45 l. 27 to p. 46 l. 13 (which specifically covers taking a voice vote).

After discussion on a motion the President ask "All in Favor respond by saying Yes". Then he says, "All Opposed, Like Sign".

This unfortunate practice rears its ugly head on this forum from time to time. There apparently used to be a procedure by which the chair might say something like, "All in favor, raise your hand". Then, "All opposed, same sign" (i.e. raise your hand). It might make sense with hand-raising but it's clearly absurd when the same sign for both affirmative and negative votes is "Yes". As Mr. Harrison suggested, take your president behind the woodshed and . . . have a chat.

After discussion on a motion the President ask "All in Favor respond by saying Yes". Then he says, "All Opposed, Like Sign". I am new to this city council but not new to serving on Boards. This is the first time I ever heard a vote requested in this fashion. On an issue I was against, I inadvertently said "No" and my vote was recorded as a "Yes". this is also confusing to the public when you have 3 council members opposed to a question and have to say "yes" in order to be recorded as "no". the public believes everone is in favor. This has to be wrong.

It's not the first time a chair has done this, and unfortunately it won't be the last.

It is wrong, according to RONR. Those in favor should say aye; those opposed should say no.

Archived