The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Opinions Needed! Nonprofit meeting and minutes issues

kellyc

Looking over some minutes of a nonprofit organization that my organization is affiliated with, I became very concerned with how they run their meetings and write their minutes. I believe these are issues that need to be taken care of, but I want some opinions before I rock the boat too much.

Meeting: 1.) Attendance was not taken, proxies weren't announced and quorum was not stated. 2.) Proxies are not asked for their vote in most instances. On some votes, the Chair is reminded to ask for them, but didn't always happen. 3.) Meeting was adjourned prior to completion of agenda because "a few people needed to leave by noon". Balance of items were not tabled or even discussed. One Director moved adjournment, it was seconded and a verbal vote was taken by the Chair. It was unclear by verbal vote if the ayes or nays had a majority. No roll call vote or show of hands. Chair declared meeting adjourned. Protests from some of the board on the balance of the agenda not being addressed, and Chair stated, "We'll talk about those things at the next meeting."

Minutes of previous meeting: 1.) Attendance is not noted, proxies aren't noted and quorum is not stated 2)It doesn't state who called the meeting to order.

My organization is a supporting organization of the one with the issues. Is it possible that my organization could be negatively affected by the poor record keeping or our "parent" organization?

RONR doesn't deal with proxies (other than to say what they are) so any rule about "stating" proxies, &c. would have to be in YOUR rules.

As to your other questions:

1) Taking attendance not required by RONR; president makes sure a quorum is present before the meeting starts - RONR, p. 25, line 10;

2) proxy votes should have been counted (if cast) but too late now, p. 250, line 16 ff.

3) A meeting can adjourn whenever a majority wants to do so. Chair should, perhaps, have been more willing to take or retake a vote to be sure there was a majority, but too late now.

No procedural answer to your last question.

Archived