The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations

swtma

Our last meeting we were short a vice president, a secretary, but we had a temporary secretary,a presiding president and treasurer. The president asked for nominations for vice president and no one nominated anyone,so the temporary secretary nominated herself and the treasurer seconded the nomination. The president then asked for nominations for secretary, she got none, so the vice president has that job also. My question is: can an temp. officer nominate themselves and another officer second the the nomination?

Self-nomination is allowed (it's called volunteering), and nominations don't need to be seconded.

I'm a little fuzzy on who ended up where, but that's for y'all to keep track of anyway.

This post will ultimately be moved to the General Discussion forum (where it belongs) so keep an eye out for it there if it seems to "disappear" from this Questions or Comments about the Message Board forum.

Our last meeting we were short a vice president, a secretary, but we had a temporary secretary,a presiding president and treasurer. The president asked for nominations for vice president and no one nominated anyone,so the temporary secretary nominated herself and the treasurer seconded the nomination. The president then asked for nominations for secretary, she got none, so the vice president has that job also. My question is: can an temp. officer nominate themselves and another officer second the the nomination?

A member can nominate himself. And as David indicated, this does not require a second.

The president then asked for nominations for secretary, she got none, so the vice president has that job also. My question is: can an temp. officer nominate themselves and another officer second the the nomination?

Assuming that the temporary officer is a member of the assembly, they can nominate themselves for whatever they want.

I'm not sure why the person who was serving as temporary secretary, but who is now your vice president, is still stuck with the duties of the secretary, however.

Archived