The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

Guest Shap

I am Chair of an organization about to become outgoing chair. The Vice should move into the Chair spot and is resigning due to health issues. Our bylaws state that when the chair resigns, the vice moves up. Can't do this because I don't have a vice yet. We would normally be voting a new vice, treasurer and secretary at the next meeting in a week. technically the treasurer is still an officer and could move up. Should I have that happen or open up voting for a new Chair and a new Vice?

I am Chair of an organization about to become outgoing chair.

If (and I'm not entirely clear what's happening here) you're not resigning but merely reaching the end of your term, the vice-president does not automatically become president. That only happens if you leave office before your term is up. Though, as always, your rules may vary.

And you don't really "become the outgoing chair". You're either the chair or you're not.

To clarify, per our bylaws the Chair becomes outgoing chair or exofficio chair and remains on the board as a guide for the rest without the ability to vote. Our bylaws indicate that if the Chair resigns, the Vice Chair becomes Chair and the secretary becomes Vice. Unfortunately, our secretary from last year ended her term and is off the board and our Vice is the one who is sick. My thoughts now are to vote a new chair and a new vice at the start of the next meeting next week.

To clarify, per our bylaws the Chair becomes outgoing chair or exofficio chair and remains on the board as a guide for the rest without the ability to vote. Our bylaws indicate that if the Chair resigns, the Vice Chair becomes Chair and the secretary becomes Vice. Unfortunately, our secretary from last year ended her term and is off the board and our Vice is the one who is sick. My thoughts now are to vote a new chair and a new vice at the start of the next meeting next week.

Well, I'm still confused.

The elections are next week and you're resigning before then? If not you, who's resigning?

And the former chair is not the "outgoing" chair. The former chair is the "gone" chair. You might want to amend your bylaws to fix that. In fact, you might want to remove that ex-officio position altogether since the board would still be free to invite the former chair(s) to its meetings ("as guide for the rest without the ability to vote") whenever it wants to.

Archived