The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Retracting a proposal

Guest Bill

Can a proposal to change the bylaws be rescinded by the individual that made the motion/proposal before it goes to vote by the members in attendance. Or, must the proposal/changes be voted on because it is on the agenda to be voted on at that particular meeting.

A motion has been adopted and the date is set for the vote. Can I retract the proposed changes to be voted on just prior to the vote?

What do you mean by "A motion has been adopted"? In RONR terms, that means a vote was taken and the proper number of affirmative votes was attained. If the motion was to amend the bylaws, and the vote was properly taken and the "yes" votes were enough, then the bylaws have been amended. The only way to "undo" that is to amend the bylaws again, following the proper procedure (as should be found in your bylaws).

Sorry for the confusion, I made the motion to make a change to the bylaws, the board asked that I submit the proposed changes to be voted on. The changes were submited and seconded, the proposed changes are set to be voted on at the next regular meeting. Can I retract the changes I submited just prior to the vote?

It seems that

• a notice of motion to amend some aspect of the bylaws has been issued, which I expect is a prerequisite for any vote taken upon the motion to be in order
  • the motion in question
    • is by necessity a main motion and, being now in writing, could properly be referred to as a resolution
    • has now been listed on the draft agenda

However, where is states above that a "date has been set for the vote", it is unclear whether the meeting in question is a special meeting that has been called to deal with just this (plus minus other specific business) or whether the motion / resolution has been listed on the draft agenda for a general meeting of the membership.

May we ask which it is?

I think all you need to know is that, even with a bylaw-mandated delay between the introduction of a motion and voting, if the motion has already been seconded it probably now belongs to the assembly, so you would have to request permission to withdraw the motion, which can be granted by unanimous consent or by majority vote.

It is important to know whether your bylaws specify the method, and requirements, for their amendment.

Absent your bylaws providing to the contrary, RONR p. 596 ll 25-7 provides that "When notice has been given of a bylaws amendment, it becomes a general order for the meeting at which it is to be considered."

Is it the case, forum, that as a result

• in order for Guest_Bill to be able to withdraw it, there must be no objection, and
  • in the presence of objection, he shall need a simple majority vote permitting its withdrawal, and
  • irrespective of any motion of withdrawal that Guest_Bill might initiate, a simple majority can vote its removal from the agenda before approving the agenda?

Sorry for the confusion, I made the motion to make a change to the bylaws, the board asked that I submit the proposed changes to be voted on. The changes were submited and seconded, the proposed changes are set to be voted on at the next regular meeting. Can I retract the changes I submited just prior to the vote?

You can withdraw it with the assembly's permission (majority vote if there is an objection).

It is important to know whether your bylaws specify the method, and requirements, for their amendment.

Absent your bylaws providing to the contrary, RONR p. 596 ll 25-7 provides that "When notice has been given of a bylaws amendment, it becomes a general order for the meeting at which it is to be considered."

Is it the case, forum, that as a result

• in order for Guest_Bill to be able to withdraw it, there must be no objection, and
  • in the presence of objection, he shall need a simple majority vote permitting its withdrawal, and
  • irrespective of any motion of withdrawal that Guest_Bill might initiate, a simple majority can vote its removal from the agenda before approving the agenda?

Yes... however, removing the motion from the agenda wouldn't prevent the amendment from being considered. A member could make the motion during New Business.

Yes... however, removing the motion from the agenda wouldn't prevent the amendment from being considered. A member could make the motion during New Business.

If, by majority vote, a particular item of business had been removed from the agenda, would not a 2/3 vote be required to accept the reintroduction of the item under New Business?

If, by majority vote, a particular item of business had been removed from the agenda, would not a 2/3 vote be required to accept the reintroduction of the item under New Business?

No. Motions may be made under New Business regardless of whether they are on the agenda, and this is the entire point of New Business. The purpose of the agenda is to complete the most important items first, not to control the business which may come before the assembly. (Although the assembly might adjourn before there is an opportunity to take up other items.)

Archived