The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee names

Guest Kathy

I take it "Fred" is out of the question? ;)

I am curious as to whether or not this group is part of the same organization or not. The post said: "but works alongside it & is self-directed & self-funded" - is it controlled by the members of the association? How do people come to be members of the group?

Personally, I wouldn't name it a board, because I find it confusing when there are two boards for a particular association (speaking from experience). Is there a reason why it can't just be named a committee? If it's subject to the association, but not to the board, then it's still a committee, right?

Other options - Association (if not part of the same association), Committee, Working Group, Task Force, Council, Advisory Group, Panel, Department, Agency, Commission... Lots of choices.

Is there a reason why it can't just be named a committee?

No.

If it's subject to the association, but not to the board, then it's still a committee, right?

Maybe. Boards of an association are generally subject to the association as well. It largely depends on how much authority the body has to act independently for the society. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 490, lines 8-22.

Is there a reason why it can't just be named a committee?

Well, if it is to be a standing committee, RONR 11th ed, p. 491, ll 6-31 holds that

"A standing committee must be constituted by name ... if any of the following conditions are to apply ... [without which] even in such a case, the committee is frequently constituted by name in the bylaws as indicated above ... If certain committees are enumerated in the bylaws, an inference arises that there shall be no others unless the bylaws also includes a provision authorizing their appointment; and without such a provision, no standing committee aside from those enumerated can be established unless the bylaws are amended ..."

Archived