The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of AGM

Guest David

If notice of an AGM requires 14 days and has been given, but on the day snow forces the cancellation of the meeting, will another 14 days notice need to be given or could the AGM be held three days later providing all are aware of the change of date.

The meeting should have been called to order at the time and location indicated in the notice, from there another meeting to continue the session could have been scheduled.

Who (other than mother nature) "forced" the cancellation? Was he authorized to do so in the rules? Did anybody show up in spite of the snow?

The chair cancelled the meeting due to adverse weather conditions. It was a local AGM and most people would not have made it. There is nothing about cancellation in the rules. The chair was able to contact those who would have attended. No one showed up.

The chair cancelled the meeting due to adverse weather conditions. It was a local AGM and most people would not have made it. There is nothing about cancellation in the rules. The chair was able to contact those who would have attended. No one showed up.

Based on these facts, it seems to me you will need to provide 14 days of notice again, as required by your Bylaws.

What it no-one other than the Chair turned up?

That would do the trick. Even if only a single member shows up to the meeting location (whether it's the chair or any other member), that would be sufficient to take the very few actions that may be taken in the absence of a quorum, including establishing an adjourned meeting.

In this case, however, it seems that no one showed up, and an empty room can't really take any actions.

What it no-one other than the Chair turned up?

That would do the trick. Even if only a single member shows up to the meeting location (whether it's the chair or any other member), that would be sufficient to take the very few actions that may be taken in the absence of a quorum, including establishing an adjourned meeting.

What would be the most parliamentary correct way to handle this - would the Chair assume the motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn, and hearing no objection, declare the motion adopted by unanimous consent?

What would be the most parliamentary correct way to handle this - would the Chair assume the motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn, and hearing no objection, declare the motion adopted by unanimous consent?

In practice, I imagine the chair just makes a note to himself, since it all comes to the same thing in the end.

In theory, your proposal would work, but I would recommend that the chair assume an incidental main motion to "adjourn to meet at the call of the chair," and hearing no objection, declare the motion adopted by unanimous consent. In one fell swoop, this motion adjourns the meeting, establishes an adjourned meeting, and lets the chair work out the exact time and place of the adjourned meeting at a later time. If you use the motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn, then you need to talk to yourself a bit longer so you can assume a motion to Adjourn.

In practice, I imagine the chair just makes a note to himself, since it all comes to the same thing in the end.

I like your suggestion better, of course. I'm simply expecting the Chair will "elect" himself as Secretary pro tem, since minutes do need to be taken, so he'll need to record that "something" was done at the meeting to indicate the adjourned meeting being set.

I like your suggestion better, of course. I'm simply expecting the Chair will "elect" himself as Secretary pro tem, since minutes do need to be taken, so he'll need to record that "something" was done at the meeting to indicate the adjourned meeting being set.

Fair point. Unless the chair is amused by the idea of talking to himself, he should spend his time writing up the brief minutes that will be required of the meeting.

Archived