The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair making a motion

Guest Elinor

It is my understanding that the chair does not make a motion. Is there something in Robert's that specifically recommends this? There is quite a procedure for the chair entering debate. But nothing I could find about the chair making the motion. Any help is appreciated!

Well, I, am, not, advocating, the, chair, making, motions. I, just, wouldn't, consider, it, debate.

FWIW, It was just a [sic] observation.

*...and this little piggy chuckled all the way home.*

What if the chair makes a non-debatable motion? Is he entering into non-debate? :rolleyes:

Yeah, what if?

It is my understanding that the chair does not make a motion. Is there something in Robert's that specifically recommends this? There is quite a procedure for the chair entering debate. But nothing I could find about the chair making the motion. Any help is appreciated!

Well, notwithstanding the discussion about whether it is "essentially entering debate," I think the key point is that if the chair wishes to make a motion, he should follow the same procedures as for speaking in debate. He should relinquish the chair until the main question is disposed of.

There are some instances, however, in which it may be appropriate for the presiding officer to "assume" a motion while remaining in the chair. See Official Interpretation 2007-1 for more information.

Thank you all so much. This has been very helpful.

I'm glad that Guest Elinor found some of this useful.... And I thank her for her charitable disregarding of the squabbling that resulted from Guest Elmer's cutely-subdued miscorrection (post 6) of Mr. Foulkes's post 4.

CT 1, here we go.

Archived