The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Position Changes

Guest Carol

Our President is stepping down, but remaining on the Board. The remaining Board members were going to step up one position, e.g. - the 1st Vice President will move into the President position. The 2nd VP will move into the 1st VP position...etc. Do we need an election, or can this be done as "in the iterim" until the next election. Our Bylaws only provide a succession plan if a Board member passes away. Thank you. Our meeting is tonight, so I hope I get an answer soon!! Thank you so much

Carol

Our President is stepping down, but remaining on the Board. The remaining Board members were going to step up one position, e.g. - the 1st Vice President will move into the President position. The 2nd VP will move into the 1st VP position...etc. Do we need an election, or can this be done as "in the iterim" until the next election. Our Bylaws only provide a succession plan if a Board member passes away. Thank you. Our meeting is tonight, so I hope I get an answer soon!! Thank you so much

Carol

Per RONR, if the President leaves office mid-term, the succession plan you described is the default (and occurs automatically upon acceptance of the President's resignation, no election necessary) unless the bylaws specify differently. If yours only address this should the President pass away, then it would likely be that all other options would be covered by RONR. Interpreting your bylaws is not something we do on this forum, so you'll want to be sure (by reading them in their entirety) that nothing else in there addresses this.

All the VPs would move up, creating a vacancy in the bottom-most position, and they would serve the remaining terms of their new positions. The bottom-most office might be filled by any vacancy-filling provision in your bylaws, or else an election by the general membership. Again, check your bylaws to see what they may say about all this, just to be sure.

If there's any remaining doubts, see pp. 588-591 (RONR 11th Ed.) for some Principles of Interpretation.

Our President is stepping down, but remaining on the Board. The remaining Board members were going to step up one position, e.g. - the 1st Vice President will move into the President position. The 2nd VP will move into the 1st VP position...etc.

I am a bit curious about the "Etc" part - do you also have a 3rd VP? I do trust you're not referring to Treasurer/Secretary type positions also "stepping up one position".

If yours only address this should the President pass away, then it would likely be that all other options would be covered by RONR.

It's unlikely that the vacancy-filling procedure applies to the President at all, since it would have to specifically mention the President to supersede the rule in RONR.

Archived