The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Duties of a Board Chair

g40

I am a Board member of a seven person board. While I know that interpretation of bylaws is up to the organization itself, I wonder if anyone can point to any reference to a definition or elaboration of "customarily assigned" relating to the office of Board Chair.  This is the sentence in question in our bylaws:  "The chair also performs other duties customarily assigned to the office of the chair or duties he or she is directed to perform by resolution of the board"

It is my contention that the Board Chair only has rights and duties defined in the bylaws, or as specifically provided for by an action of the board, as allowed in the bylaws. I can not find anything in RONR elaborating on "customarily assigned".

I am a Board member of a seven person board. While I know that interpretation of bylaws is up to the organization itself, I wonder if anyone can point to any reference to a definition or elaboration of "customarily assigned" relating to the office of Board Chair.  This is the sentence in question in our bylaws:  "The chair also performs other duties customarily assigned to the office of the chair or duties he or she is directed to perform by resolution of the board"

It is my contention that the Board Chair only has rights and duties defined in the bylaws, or as specifically provided for by an action of the board, as allowed in the bylaws. I can not find anything in RONR elaborating on "customarily assigned".

RONR describes the parliamentary duties of the chairman in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 448-457. It doesn't elaborate on any other duties which are "customarily assigned" to the office of the chair.

Guest Paul McClintock

"The chair also performs other duties customarily assigned to the office of the chair or duties he or she is directed to perform by resolution of the board"

It is my contention that the Board Chair only has rights and duties defined in the bylaws, or as specifically provided for by an action of the board, as allowed in the bylaws.

Although RONR does not use the "customarily assigned" phrase, RONR does say that custom should be followed unless in violation of governing rules (p. 19).  For example, if no rule or bylaw requires a ballot vote for elections but it has been the custom to use ballots, they should be used by default, and only not used if so directed by vote.

An example of a duty of the board chair could be appointing someone to lead in the pledge or prayer in the opening ceremonies.  But that is more likely to be "customarily assumed" than "customarily assigned."

On the other hand, if the board by vote each year for the past several years has assigned a special duty to the board chair to excercise outside of a board meeting, but forgot to do so this year (as opposed to considered it but the motion was lost), then that seems to me to be "customarily" (by virtue of multiple years) "assigned" (by virtue of board vote). 

Paul McClintock, PRP, CP-T

Although RONR does not use the "customarily assigned" phrase, RONR does say that custom should be followed unless in violation of governing rules (p. 19).  For example, if no rule or bylaw requires a ballot vote for elections but it has been the custom to use ballots, they should be used by default, and only not used if so directed by vote.

An example of a duty of the board chair could be appointing someone to lead in the pledge or prayer in the opening ceremonies.  But that is more likely to be "customarily assumed" than "customarily assigned."

On the other hand, if the board by vote each year for the past several years has assigned a special duty to the board chair to excercise outside of a board meeting, but forgot to do so this year (as opposed to considered it but the motion was lost), then that seems to me to be "customarily" (by virtue of multiple years) "assigned" (by virtue of board vote). 

Paul McClintock, PRP, CP-T

OK, thanks. Maybe "customarily assigned" means the custom(s) of the organization, as you suggest. That actually makes sense. I was interpreting it to either be some kind of list in some parliamentary authority or what is "customary" in the type of organization.

Archived