The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does this require a majority vote?

g40

Small board and officers are elected from board members. I am an officer (and board member). In my role as this particular officer, I have the "right" (as defined by a certain government agency with which we deal) to do something and for which (again as defined by this government agency) a board action (approved motion or resolution) is not required. I am strongly in favor of doing this, but do not want to do it if the board is opposed. It seems to me that it would not be necessary to make a motion to "authorize G40 to take ___ action". Rather the motion, it seems to me, should or could be something like " the Board of ______  opposes G40 taking ____ action".

If the latter received anything but a majority vote against, then I believe it would be fair to say that the Board does not oppose my taking this action - even if the vote were a tie (say 3-3). If the former, then if the motion fails it is not clear (to me at least) that the board opposes it, and a tie vote is just as much a failed motion as 0-6. Is my thinking correct?

It seems to me that it would not be necessary to make a motion to "authorize G40 to take ___ action". Rather the motion, it seems to me, should or could be something like " the Board of ______  opposes G40 taking ____ action".

A motion to authorize you to do something you already have the authority to do makes no sense. A motion to "support" or "oppose" the action would be in order.

If the latter received anything but a majority vote against, then I believe it would be fair to say that the Board does not oppose my taking this action - even if the vote were a tie (say 3-3). If the former, then if the motion fails it is not clear (to me at least) that the board opposes it, and a tie vote is just as much a failed motion as 0-6. Is my thinking correct?

Yes. In either case, if the motion fails, the board has neither supported nor opposed the action, whether the vote is 3-3 or 0-6. If a motion to support the action fails, the board does not support the action - but that doesn't mean the board opposes it. If a motion to oppose the action fails, the board does not oppose the action - but that doesn't mean the board supports it.

Archived