The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Quorum at Annual Meeting

Scott Brasch

We have our Annual Meeting coming up and it is designated for elections and budget approval.

My question is if a quorum is absent do the people in office remain until the next Annual meeting and do we revert back to the current years budget? The BOD has approved the budget for presentation to the membership for approval per our bylaws.

Thanks in advance.

So would we then operate under last years budget or just do essentials and no improvements or ammenities?

I think you're going to have an interesting bylaws interpretation question on your hands. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for more information.

Since there is no apparent governance (restricting in any way) in the bylaws regarding the budget, wouldn't Scott's organization be able to address budgetary questions and concerns at meetings through motion or resolution?  It would seem that if they wanted to expend some finances for improvements or ammenities, someone could just make a motion and the majority would decide.  Does that not sound parliamentarily correct?

Since there is no apparent governance (restricting in any way) in the bylaws regarding the budget, wouldn't Scott's organization be able to address budgetary questions and concerns at meetings through motion or resolution?  It would seem that if they wanted to expend some finances for improvements or ammenities, someone could just make a motion and the majority would decide.  Does that not sound parliamentarily correct?

If the organization could address the budgetary questions and concerns at a meeting, what would prohibit them from completing the election at a subsequent regular or special meeting called for that purpose - that is, if the bylaws provide for special meetings?

We have our Annual Meeting coming up and it is designated for elections and budget approval.

My question is if a quorum is absent do the people in office remain until the next Annual meeting and do we revert back to the current years budget? The BOD has approved the budget for presentation to the membership for approval per our bylaws.

By the way, the best thing to do is to avoid this problem (or at least shorten the duration of the problem). If there is not a quorum, set up an adjourned meeting for a later date and try to get a quorum for that meeting. An adjourned meeting may be set even in the absence of a quorum.

That sounds fine to me.

I think the more interesting question (and I suspect is what the OP is really worried about) is what the board is allowed to spend without an adopted budget.

If the organization could address the budgetary questions and concerns at a meeting, what would prohibit them from completing the election at a subsequent regular or special meeting called for that purpose - that is, if the bylaws provide for special meetings?

Nothing would prohibit them from completing the election.

Archived