The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Firegal759

If individuals in the department are under investigation at the time of elections, are those individuals allowed to run for either Line Officers or Business Officers? Investigations include: theft of funds, illegal signing of checks, dereliction of duties, conduct unbecoming an officer.

Okay. I do understand the above reply. A brief outline below and my question are.

- Each member (3) have been notified there is an active investigation ongoing.

- Two of the three members have been called upon by the Board of Directors for explanations to their behavior. All answers were "I don't know" and "I didn't do it" thus causing a deeper, more in-depth and lengthy investigation to ensue. In fact, the one individual resigned from his duties, but not from the Department and did not show up to any meetings/drills for over 5 months, but is now running again for a top position.

- Multiple monetary community  supporters for our small volunteer department  (the only way we stay running) have issued warnings that if these individuals were to be back into an official position with the department all money would immediately cease and desist.

The existence of our fire department may be in jeopardy if the above individuals would be voted back in. Is there any type of a self-preservation clause?

Okay. I do understand the above reply. A brief outline below and my question are.

- Each member (3) have been notified there is an active investigation ongoing.

- Two of the three members have been called upon by the Board of Directors for explanations to their behavior. All answers were "I don't know" and "I didn't do it" thus causing a deeper, more in-depth and lengthy investigation to ensue. In fact, the one individual resigned from his duties, but not from the Department and did not show up to any meetings/drills for over 5 months, but is now running again for a top position.

- Multiple monetary community  supporters for our small volunteer department  (the only way we stay running) have issued warnings that if these individuals were to be back into an official position with the department all money would immediately cease and desist.

The existence of our fire department may be in jeopardy if the above individuals would be voted back in. Is there any type of a self-preservation clause?

Based solely on the facts presented, I would say these individuals are eligible to serve unless your bylaws provide otherwise.

The "self-preservation" clause is to vote for someone else.

Archived