The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consideration by Seriatim

D_K

Our organization will be considering a revision to its bylaws. The proposal will be considered by sections pursuant to Section 28 of RONR. If an amendment is proposed to one of the sections that includes some minor changes to other sections, should it be deferred to the end, regardless of how minor the changes to the other sections are? In other words, must an amendment apply only to the section under consideration?

I would say yes, it would be simplest and most efficient to defer to the end a proposed change that affects more than one section, since the end is when the whole document is opened up for amendment. 

That's because yes, I think what seriatim-consideration is about is considering only one section at a time.

But I'm leaning towards thinking that if everyone thought the minor changes to other sections would be fine, then the assembly would go along with Suspending The Rules to allow doing it, and I doubt that would violate any fundamental principle of parliamentary law, or anything else.

Our organization will be considering a revision to its bylaws. The proposal will be considered by sections pursuant to Section 28 of RONR. If an amendment is proposed to one of the sections that includes some minor changes to other sections, should it be deferred to the end, regardless of how minor the changes to the other sections are? In other words, must an amendment apply only to the section under consideration?

There is no need to "defer" consideration of such an amendment, and a motion to postpone it, alone, would be out of order. If its adoption necessitates amendment of other sections, there will be ample opportunity to make such amendments before a vote is taken on adoption of the entire revision.

There is no need to "defer" consideration of such an amendment, and a motion to postpone it, alone, would be out of order. If its adoption necessitates amendment of other sections, there will be ample opportunity to make such amendments before a vote is taken on adoption of the entire revision.

I think that D_K means that the amendment would have to wait until the consideration seriatim is complete and the entire document is opened for amendment, rather than formal postponement. I agree with our longtime guest Nancy that they would, formally, have to wait, but that the assembly could suspend the rules to allow a motion to be made with incidental effects (such as renaming an office, which would necessitate changing every reference to that office) during the consideration of a single section.

I think that D_K means that the amendment would have to wait until the consideration seriatim is complete and the entire document is opened for amendment, rather than formal postponement. I agree with our longtime guest Nancy that they would, formally, have to wait, but that the assembly could suspend the rules to allow a motion to be made with incidental effects (such as renaming an office, which would necessitate changing every reference to that office) during the consideration of a single section.

Well, D_K might also have been asking if, while considering the bylaw revision seriatim, it would be improper to make a motion to amend the section under consideration if such amendment might, if adopted, necessitate amendment of other sections. As I said, this is not the case. The motion to amend the section under consideration can and should be made. If it is adopted, and if its adoption does necessitate amendment of other sections (whether they have or have not already been considered), there will be ample opportunity to make such amendments before a vote is taken on adoption of the entire revision.

Archived