The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Request

Tonyeo

So I sorted out the membership issue found a location and set the date and the main person behind the special request who wishes to make a motion to rescnd can not be at the meeting.

My question is can the meeting still go ahead and someone else make the motion or as he is specifically named in the special request as going to make the motion does he have to be present.

Here is part of the special request letter.

The Special Meeting of the Club will include a vote on a motion put forth, by Joe Blow, to RESCIND the rule...........

Tony

So I sorted out the membership issue found a location and set the date and the main person behind the special request who wishes to make a motion to rescnd can not be at the meeting.

My question is can the meeting still go ahead and someone else make the motion or as he is specifically named in the special request as going to make the motion does he have to be present.

Here is part of the special request letter.

The Special Meeting of the Club will include a vote on a motion put forth, by Joe Blow, to RESCIND the rule...........

Any member can make the motion.

Anyone agree that it was inept to say in the call of the meeting ("special request" -- heck why not give it a different name, we lost a lot of ambiguity lately and need some back) that Joe Blow would be putting forth?

Inept may be a good choice of word.  I haven't found anything in RONR that indicates the member who gave notice of intent to make the motion should be, or needs to be, mentioned in the call.  However, I don't think (nor do I find anything in RONR that indicates) doing so obligates the member to attend or in any other fashion invalidates the notice or prevents the meeting from going forward with another member making the motion.  

Of course, if Joe was the only member interested in rescinding, it may make for a very short meeting.

I was thinking maybe there would be an absentee problem if someone found out that Joe Blow had a las-minute crisis so couldn't attend, and therefore we all figured the motion would not be made so we didn't bother going.  Also enemies of Joe Blow wouldn't go to a meeting at which Joe Blow would be making a motion, even to the extent of voting against it.  (We bikers and orchid fanciers got heavy vendetta issues.)

Anyone agree that it was inept to say in the call of the meeting ("special request" -- heck why not give it a different name, we lost a lot of ambiguity lately and need some back) that Joe Blow would be putting forth?

I think it is inept to describe it in such a way. It might not be entirely inappropriate to refer to him in a different context, such as "For more information on the proposed motion, please contact <SPONSOR>."

Archived