The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion incorrectly announced as passed

Guest cds012

At our church board meeting, 2 evenings ago, we had 2 issues voted on that the chairman declared passed because he was thinking it was a simple majority required.  I am the secretary and I also thought they passed.  After reviewing the constitution and bylaws, they both required 2/3 majority of the votes cast to pass.  On the first issue, there were 11 votes cast: 7 for and 4 against.  my understanding NOW is that 7.33 votes would have been needed, so the motion did NOT pass.  on the second issue, 13 votes were cast: 7 for and 6 against.  A more obvious answer, but also should NOT have passed.  What is the proper way to handle this now? 

Take a look at the eye-opening Official Interpretation 2006-18   WRONG VOTE AND UNTIMELY POINT OF ORDER , at www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_18 .  (Note that the page numbers given are for RONR's 10th Edition, and the material referenced is a few pages further on in the 11th.)

The proper way to handle this now is, say "oops".  Both motions are adopted ("passed").  Treat them that way.  ANd if some of you don't like them, remember how to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

Archived