The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Laws Verses RONR

Guest Charlene

Our By-Laws state that no one can be nominated if they are absent from the nomination meeting unless they give a written consent to the secretary prior to the meeting. Three of us were nominated unaposed. The next day the President of our Association posted a write in sheet, there was a place to put your name and what position you wanted. Our union rep says this is perfectly legal and it is in RONR. Can someone tell me were I can look this up. I have RONRNV 11th edition.

Also the President posted on a seperate sheet of paper all of the nomanees and the candidates, but beside my name was a write in. Is that legal? In the 15 years I have been in this Association, we have never done this.

is it illegal to post a sign up sheet for write in votes?

So far as I can determine, it does not violate any rule in RONR for someone to put out a sheet of paper for members who wish to be write-in candidates to sign, although it should be noted that (unless your rules provide otherwise), members can still cast write-in votes for any eligible person whether or not they have signed such a sheet.

Archived