The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Clarifying Question presented to a motion

Guest John Talbott

Guest John Talbott

Folks- I was scolded for not directing a question to the president of a union meeting in an odd way. As I was asking the question the treasurer attempted to answer by speaking over me while I had the floor. I advised the treasurer that the question was not being asked of her but to the member that was making the motion. After the meeting the president advised me that "all questions must go by the president first". 

According the RONR, the president is correct. And it seems like a nice gesture that the president took you aside privately to inform you of this, rather than doing so during the meeting, which would have been proper. I hope the president also spoke to the treasurer after the meeting, though you would have no way of knowing whether this is the case or not.

Yes, all questions are asked through the presiding officer.  The proper way to do this would have been for you to ask,  "Mr. President, I would like to ask the maker of this motion a question."  

The president would inquire if the maker would agree, and if so you would continue, but still addressing your remarks to the president.  "Mr. President, i wonder if the maker of the motion be good enough to tell us which budget line item would be charged with the expenses resulting from this proposal?"

The answer would be similarly addressed through the president as well.

Archived