The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Large Standing Committee

Tom Coronite

We have a standing committee designated in our bylaws as the Church Committee which has a membership of approximately 40-50 and typically has 25 or so members attend meetings.  This committee  has "standing powers" and it meets regularly as established by rule in the bylaws, both characteristics mentioned on p 490 describing the differences between committees and boards.  I read this:

RONR p 490 ll 20-22:

Some standing committees, however - particularly in large state or national organizations - function virtually in the manner of boards, although not designated as such.

This makes me think this committee is operating in the manner of a board and, because of its size, should operate as an assembly with the regular rules of parliamentary procedure.  But then I read this:

RONR p 501 ll 2-6:

If a standing or special is so large that it can function best in the manner of a full-scale assembly, it should be instructed that the informalities and modifications of the regular rules of parliamentary procedure listed for small boards on pp 487-488 are not to apply to its proceedings.

This makes me wonder if it is required that the Church Committee, in order to operate as an assembly with the regular rules of parliamentary procedure, be specifically instructed to do so by the assembly (i.e. the congregation) either in the bylaws or an established rule of order.  Absent any such specific instructions, should the Church Committee operate with the regular rules of parliamentary procedure or with the modifications normally used in a committee?  

If the informal rules are working (and I assume that presently you are indeed using the relaxed rules for "small boards and committees"), then I see no benefit to changing for the sake of change.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The formal rules are usually necessary due to psychological reasons more so than legal reasons:

(a.) the visual element (viz., they cannot see each other, but sit parallel to each other, as an audience in a theater would sit, with only the chair being visible to all members).

(b.) the conflict element (viz., they are of such varied and differing opinions that a strict adherence to the ruled is necessary regarding speaking over each other, i.e., cross-talk, due to interruptions, and due to not going through the chair for all questions and requests).

And contrariwise:

If you are getting no business done, and are having long meetings, then, yes, you better change over to the formal rules.

"If you always do what you always done, you'll always get what you always got."

Unless the church has given the committee specific instructions, the committee should follow the portions of RONR that best apply to its situation. The committee can't go off and make its own rules, but it can follow what RONR says. But if it bothers you, the committee can make a recommendation to the church on how it should be instructed and then it will be clear.

Archived