The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board members leaving meeting

Guest Martha

Not unless your organization has special rules (or statutory ones) that require it.* According to Robert's Rules, the minutes should not concern themselves with the attendance of the meeting. Any inclusion of attendance will be under your organization's own rules.

* One example I've seen in corporate law, for instance, is that a director must explicitly have their objection to a decision recorded in the minutes in order to avoid liability stemming from it.

* One example I've seen in corporate law, for instance, is that a director must explicitly have their objection to a decision recorded in the minutes in order to avoid liability stemming from it.

Though I'm not sure what that has to do with leaving a meeting early. Unless you think the departed member can have the minutes record the fact that, had he stayed, he would have voted "no".

Do you have to give a reason, in the minutes, for a board member to leave a board meeting early?

Quite the opposite.

It is improper for a member to even ask permission to leave.

The member is to just leave, quietly.

I have a wonderful citation from Parliamentary Law (1923), if someone is curious on what Henry M. Robert said about such a thing.

If I find it, I will post it.

Archived