The Official RONR Q & A Forums

how to call valid regular board meeting

rynait

Hello, 

i understood from other forum links (I tried to find the forum), that there is three ways to have "valid" regular board meetings are

a ) specified in bylaws

b ) calling board meeting procedure specified in bylaws

c ) by resolution(s) which could be recorded in the minutes, fixing next board meeting or next several board meetings.

is my understanding on validation of calling a board meeting correct?

R

ps  this is spawn from strange motion/compound motion thread.

i understood from other forum links (I tried to find the forum), that there is three ways to have "valid" regular board meetings are

a ) specified in bylaws

b ) calling board meeting procedure specified in bylaws

c ) by resolution(s) which could be recorded in the minutes, fixing next board meeting or next several board meetings.

is my understanding on validation of calling a board meeting correct?

Sounds good to me, although the application of option c is a bit more complicated. This is a valid way to schedule an adjourned meeting, which is a continuation of the current meeting. It is not a valid method to call regular meetings generally unless so authorized by the bylaws or if the bylaws are silent on the subject of regular meetings.

Hello, 

I am bit dense on what Josh stated.  

I might have been mistaken,  is regular board meeting meaning established and scheduled to hold a board meeting.

and assumed meant that they should debate and decide on when the next meeting be during their regular meeting ... is equivilant to making board resolution?

can you give me example on adjourned meeting scheduling?  sounds like fourth way. 

R

I am bit dense on what Josh stated.  

I might have been mistaken,  is regular board meeting meaning established and scheduled to hold a board meeting.

and assumed meant that they should debate and decide on when the next meeting be during their regular meeting ... is equivilant to making board resolution?

can you give me example on adjourned meeting scheduling?  sounds like fourth way. 

Sure. Let's consider two different societies. In Society A, the bylaws provide that board meetings shall be held on the first Monday of every even-numbered month. In such a society, the board can't adopt a motion at the February meeting providing for a regular meeting in May, because this would conflict with the bylaws. The board could, however, adopt a motion providing for an adjourned meeting in March, to continue the current meeting. (It couldn't provide for an adjourned meeting in May, because an adjourned meeting can't be scheduled beyond the next regular meeting - in April).

In Society B, the bylaws provide that the board shall meet immediately after the annual meeting of the society and that other regular meetings shall be scheduled by resolution. In that case, the board is free to schedule all the regular meetings it likes, to be held whenever it pleases. It also still has the option of an adjourned meeting. Such a board could adopt a resolution at each meeting deciding when the next regular meeting shall be, or it could adopt a schedule for the entire year in a single motion.

Archived