The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw amendments [victor ayala]

Guest victor ayala

to whom it may concern:     I am the chairperson for a neighborhood council in los Angeles. a couple of months ago the president! from our neighborhood council attended one of my by law committee meetings and submitted her by law amendments recommendation's to the committee. just last month she the president of our neighborhood council self appointed herself to the by law committee. we will be have a by law committee meeting and I was informed by community members that since she submitted her recommendation's to the committee and now is on the committee she can be part of the conversation or the voting regarding the recommended amendments to the by laws. and my question is . can she the person who submitted the recommendation's to committee be part of the meeting to vote? or does she need to remove herself from the committee and not vote on the item. please help. thank you victor ayala 

to whom it may concern:     I am the chairperson for a neighborhood council in los Angeles. a couple of months ago the president! from our neighborhood council attended one of my by law committee meetings and submitted her by law amendments recommendation's to the committee. just last month she the president of our neighborhood council self appointed herself to the by law committee. we will be have a by law committee meeting and I was informed by community members that since she submitted her recommendation's to the committee and now is on the committee she can be part of the conversation or the voting regarding the recommended amendments to the by laws. and my question is . can she the person who submitted the recommendation's to committee be part of the meeting to vote? or does she need to remove herself from the committee and not vote on the item. please help. thank you victor ayala

Assuming the President has the authority to appoint members to the bylaws committee, she is now a member of the bylaws committee and is free to participate fully in that committee's meetings, including during debate and voting on her own proposed amendments.

Archived