The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Visual presentation during debate (slideshow on the big screens)

Guest Joseph Zamenick

Guest Joseph Zamenick

If, during a debate on a constitutional amendment, a member wishes to present a slideshow revealing facts for (or against) a motion, would that be out of order? No time constraints on debate were implemented prior to the meeting/debate. Why or why not? Thanks for your help.

If, during a debate on a constitutional amendment, a member wishes to present a slideshow revealing facts for (or against) a motion, would that be out of order? No time constraints on debate were implemented prior to the meeting/debate. Why or why not? Thanks for your help.

I concur with the previous response, but I would add that there are time constraints, even if the assembly has not specifically adopted any. The default limitation on debate is that each member may speak twice on each motion for up to ten minutes each time. Assuming the assembly grants the member permission to present a slideshow in debate, my opinion would be that any time spent setting this up would be charged to the member's time, unless the assembly decides otherwise.

Guest Joseph Zamenick

Thank you very much for the responses. The presentation was set up in advance and was completed in under 10 minutes. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it and will proceed accordingly going forward.

Archived