The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee reports

Guest Becky Abegglen

Guest Becky Abegglen

The first committee referred an item to the second committee.  The second committee met and made a motion on the item.  That item would normally be in the report of the second committee; however, before that report was generated, the first committee met and rescinded the motion that sent the item to the second committee.  What happens to that item on the second committee's report. May it be deleted?

No.  The first committee is independent and reports directly to the highest governing body and intended their motion to go directly there.  The second committee reports to the Board which is the entity between the committees and the highest governing body.

My guess would be that since the second committee hadn't yet authorized a report on their actions before the first committee recinded the motion to refer the item to the second committee for consideration, that essentially nothing the second committee did may be documented at all. It was wasted time. No authority to act = no report.

I could be very wrong here.

I believe that the motion to refer to a different committee was not in order in the first place, unless the second committee reports to the first (i.e., is a subcommittee of the first).

The first committee could have reported back to its parent body with a recommendation that the matter be referred to the other committee, but had no power to do so on its own initiative.

Archived