The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Right to Run for Office

Guest Elaine Smith

I'm a member of a national organization with 300 chapters around the country. Our national bylaws state that annual membership is from January 1 through December 31. National and chapter dues are due by January 1 and a late fee of 10% is applied for dues paid after February 1.

I paid my dues on February 5 and have been told that I am not eligible to run for an elected chapter office this fall since I now have a break-in-service with the chapter. This "rule" is not a chapter bylaw nor is it a standing rule. This decision is coming out of the finance committee. Our national bylaws defines a member having a beak-in-service if they've been non-financial for one or more years.

We have bylaws that speak to the eligibility requirements to run for office. My question is, would not a rule that challenges my eligibility to run for office have to be a bylaw.

Yes it would.  Ask the person "telling you" the rule to produce it in writing.  Chalenge him/her.

If worse comes along, get yourself nominated at an appropriate meeting and then if anybody raises a point of order that you can't serve (and the chair rules against you) appeal the ruling and present your arguments.

Archived