The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consent Calendar voting

Guest Beth Schott

I was told recently that it is not necessary for a Council Member to "recuse" themselves from voting on the Consent Calendar if there is a conflict item on the Consent Calendar. Is that true?

So far as RONR is concerned, it is not necessary for a member to "recuse" himself from voting in any case, although the member should abstain from voting if he has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members. See FAQ #9.

RONR ultimately leaves the judgment of whether a member should abstain up to the member, so it will be up to him to determine whether he should vote if, due to a special rule of order of the assembly, a series of motions on a consent calendar is voted on in gross, and he has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members regarding only one of the motions. RONR does not discuss how the rule in question applies in that particular situation.

I agree with Mr. Martin's answer.  But, since guest Beth referred to this body as a council and is asking about a consent agenda, I suspect that it is quite likely a public body.  If so, Beth might check her state's open meetings (sunshine) and ethics laws regarding when a public official must abstain from voting on an item.  Any such statutes would trump the provisions in RONR. 

Archived