The Official RONR Q & A Forums

List of amendments

Guest Aurora

Looking at the RONR, I note the section on amendments, but there may not be an answer, at least I am not seeing an answer, to the following question: if there is a lengthy main motion (50 + pages) on the floor (or any motion on the floor) and a member has prepared a lengthy list of amendments, 30 +, seconded in writing for each amendment by another member, and it is submitted to the chair and secretary before the beginning of the meeting (as it has been), is this list in order? The list has been submitted early enough I could actually submit it to the assembly three weeks or more before the next meeting, if that is proper. This is a bit complicated from where I am standing.

It is proper but an awful way to try to do extensive amendments. 

What your friend might well do instead is prepare a complete revision of the (pending) document with all those amendments included which could then be presented as an amendment by substitution.  The substitute could then be considered seriatim much the way a General Revision of the bylaws (p. 593) is presented and considered.

After any perfecting (detailed) amendments to the substitute (and to the pending main motion) are dealt with there would be just one vote to adopt the amendment, rather than 30+ votes on each amendment in the huge list.  If it was adopted and became the new pending main motion, a second vote (probably just a formality by now) would adopt the new version for good.

If the amendment by substitution was defeated after all that work...  well, that's the way it goes; your friend will have to go back to the drawing board.  There would then be a vote on the old (original, as possibly somewhat amended) main motion.  But at least you would finish the job much much faster that wading through the 30+ amendments in his/her list one by one.

Archived