The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointment to Committee

Russ1409

Our bylaws are silent on how our committees are filled.  Indeed, we really don't seem to have committees (we are a Search and Rescue organization).  As incoming president, I am thinking some more structure is needed.  I can think of some standing committees that need to be created (for instance, a committee for the newly formed K9 team, and one for the newly formed Equestrian team) and there will be a few special committees needed, mostly for auditing needs as a new president and board takes over.  If I understand the RRO correctly, there's several (six?) different ways to fill committees.  Should the president ask the membership which method to use to fill the committees? Or just have the committee(s) created and filled by motion? Or just create the committee(s) and make the appointments by presidential appointment? I should note that the entire membership is very passive, and almost always just lets the president or board do as they see fit.

On another note, the citations that forum members use here to point out a rule or reference, is this from a physical (non-ebook) edition of the RROR?  Does anyone use an e-book copy of the latest edition, and if so, is it relatively easy to find a needed section or reference? It's time for me to make a purchase, I think.

More questions to come :)

Thank you,

Russ

If the bylaws don't specify how committees are created and populated, the method can be stated in the motion creating the committee.  As you already know, there are several methods of populating committees and selecting the chairs.  The membership ultimately decides what method will be used.  Here is a quote from page 492 of RONR:

"METHODS OF APPOINTMENT. In an assembly or organization that has not prescribed in its bylaws or rules how the members of its committees shall be selected, the method can be decided by unanimous consent or by majority vote at the time the committee is appointed, as described on page 174, lines 11–20; or (in the case of a special committee) the method can be specified in the motion to establish the committee. The power to appoint a committee carries with it the power to appoint the chairman and to fill any vacancy that may arise in the committee. The two paragraphs headed Designating the Committee Chairman on pages 175–76 should be read in connection with the five methods of appointing a committee described below."

The citations we use in this forum almost always come from the 11th edition of RONR.  Some  of us also use a digital version on CD ROM, which is the only authorized version available.  I'll post a link to it.  It costs around $65 depending on who you order it from.  I use it and like it.  I especially like the ability to copy and paste from it.  That is how I got the quote I posted above.  At first I did not like the search engine,but I'm getting used to it and find it very helpful.  The CD-ROM is available only for PC's.  There is no version published for MAC's, but conversion programs are available.  The pagination is identical to the printed copy of RONR, but the CD ROM version lacks line numbers.  Here is a link to it.  It is also available from NAP (The National Association of Parliamentarians):  http://www.robertsrules.com/pdfs/RR%20Robert%20Rules%20Order%20Form_2015.pdf

Archived