The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timing of Motion to Adjourn

Guest Peter

Hello.  My question concerns the timing of a motion to adjourn a meeting.  In this case a motion was before the assembly, debate had been held and closed (by proper motion) and the Chair was proceeding with the vote.  Just as the vote was called a member raised a motion to adjourn.  The chair ruled this motion out of order since voting on the motion before the assembly had begun.  Correct action by the chair?  Thank you.

Yes.

Robert's Rules is clear. -- Once the taking of a vote has begun, any motion not directly related to the vote is out of order.

I have heard countless times, a chair is about to conduct a vote, and member calls out, "What are we voting on?" -- The chair failed to clarify the wording of the immediately pending question.

That kind of interruption is a necessary interruption. You can't vote on something no one knows is pending.

10 hours ago, Guest Peter said:

Hello.  My question concerns the timing of a motion to adjourn a meeting.  In this case a motion was before the assembly, debate had been held and closed (by proper motion) and the Chair was proceeding with the vote.  Just as the vote was called a member raised a motion to adjourn.  The chair ruled this motion out of order since voting on the motion before the assembly had begun.  Correct action by the chair?  Thank you.

9 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

Yes.

Robert's Rules is clear. -- Once the taking of a vote has begun, any motion not directly related to the vote is out of order.

This may be a bit of an understatement. Even points of order regarding a vote being taken cannot be raised during the taking of the vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.