The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club President

Guest Tina

I have heard differing opinions on this and hoping for clarification.  We are a small Women's Association and our annual closing meeting is coming up soon.  Toward the end of the meeting, we elect next year's officers.  Once the vote is taken and the new officers are solidified, does the incoming president now take over the rest of the meeting?  Currently, in the Agenda order, New Business comes after that .... so does the outgoing president finish out the meeting and handle the new business or does the incoming president preside over that?

5 minutes ago, Guest Tina said:

I have heard differing opinions on this and hoping for clarification.  We are a small Women's Association and our annual closing meeting is coming up soon.  Toward the end of the meeting, we elect next year's officers.  Once the vote is taken and the new officers are solidified, does the incoming president now take over the rest of the meeting?  Currently, in the Agenda order, New Business comes after that .... so does the outgoing president finish out the meeting and handle the new business or does the incoming president preside over that?

"An officer-elect takes possession of his office immediately upon his election's becoming final, unless the bylaws or other rules specify a later time."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 444)

So if "solidified" means what I think you intend it to mean, the newly elected president takes over immediately. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.