The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion failed, some board members now want to vote again

PHBoard

Pardon my amateur status with Robert's Rules of Order and thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Our neighborhood board, had a motion before it to approve and the motion failed to pass.  There was not then a follow-up motion to deny.  Is there a way to vote again?  The motion related to rezoning some property owned by a church.  At the meeting, there were non-voting members of said church that spoke in opposition.  At a subsequent meeting of the official church group, they voted to move forward with the rezoning request.  Is the mere fact that the official desire of the church is different than the group of church members that attended our neighborhood meeting grounds to revote?

I don't quite follow your post, but here are the basics: If the motion failed to pass, it was defeated. There should be no need to vote again just to deny unless there's some procedure in place we don't know about. If RONR is your parliamentary authority, when the motion was defeated, It   defeated and that's that.....for now.

However, the motion can be renewed, that is, brought up again, at any future session. You don't need "grounds" to bring it up again. It can be brought up again by any member for any reason. It is up to your organization to decide which church group to pay the most attention to.

Note: if this neighborhood board is considered a public body, then you might need to abide by whatever procedures are in place in your state's open meetings or Sunshine laws. I suspect there are statutes or regulations in place regarding your procedures that we don't know about.

Edited to add: after rereading your post, I think I do follow it, but my answer remains the same.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Agreeing with Mr. Brown, land use boards (if this is one) often (at least in my experience in two states) have rules or statutes requiring that the board either approve or affirmatively deny a permit (what if there are as many votes to approve as to deny?  Who knows?), and restrictions on bringing back an application for reconsideration before a fixed amount of time has passed or conditions have changed.  As to how those rules intersect (i.e. what if you didn't follow the first at your last meeting), it will depend on the specifics of the rules and laws involved, and is probably a question for an attorney, not a parliamentarian.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.