The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Need help understanding debate and vote process for motions

Guest newtoboard

We have a meeting coming up and I have to lead it and I'm so confused.  We have three competing ideas and have to choose one.  So, let's say someone makes a motion to spend 2K on computers.  Then someone else amends that to spend 2K on flower beds.  The flower beds amendment passes.   So if I understand correctly, the main motion (amended) is now to spend 2K on flower beds, and not on computers.  When we go to vote on the main amended motion, can someone amend that to say computers again?  Can it be amended at all?  Is there some way they can get back to a motion to consider computers?  I understand the process of amendments, but not quite how you get to an actual vote on the main motion and what happens when people still disagree and don't want to give up on the computers.  If you can point me to a place that's easy to read and explains it, that would be appreciated too.  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Guest newtoboard said:

We have a meeting coming up and I have to lead it and I'm so confused.  We have three competing ideas and have to choose one.  So, let's say someone makes a motion to spend 2K on computers.  Then someone else amends that to spend 2K on flower beds.  The flower beds amendment passes.   So if I understand correctly, the main motion (amended) is now to spend 2K on flower beds, and not on computers.

I will first note that I would probably rule this amendment out of order as not being germane to the main motion, but I’ll look past that since these are presumably hypothetical examples. :)

44 minutes ago, Guest newtoboard said:

When we go to vote on the main amended motion, can someone amend that to say computers again?

No.The assembly has already decided that question.

44 minutes ago, Guest newtoboard said:

Can it be amended at all?

Yes. Exactly how it may (or may not) be amended depends on the exact manner in which the motion was amended. The key point is that no motion is in order which presents substantially the same question as one which has already been decided. It is certainly not in order to make an amendment which has the effect of reversing the amendment which was just adopted.

46 minutes ago, Guest newtoboard said:

Is there some way they can get back to a motion to consider computers?

Yes, by means of a motion to Reconsider, which must be made by a member who voted on the prevailing side. In this case, that would be someone who voted for the amendment. If the motion to Reconsider is adopted, the assembly will then consider the amendment again, in the same position as the motion was before it was adopted.

If you have time before the meeting comes up, get a copy of

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will ever need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link: 

http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

Or in your local bookstore.

It might be just what the parliamentarian ordered. 

Even if you don't have time, get one anyway, for next time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.