The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of a question

Guest T L Fortier

I belong to an organization that endorses political candidates.  To do so requires a two-thirds vote of the voting members present.  At our last meeting an endorsement was defeated by one vote.  A motion to reconsider was deemed out of order because it was not made by a member of the "prevailing side", i.e., the 'nays'.  Now they are trying to call a special meeting to reconsider the issue.  My contention is that reconsideration of the question must still be raised by the prevailing side.  The opposing side says that since it is a new meeting, the restriction does not apply.  Who is correct?

4 minutes ago, Guest T L Fortier said:

I belong to an organization that endorses political candidates.  To do so requires a two-thirds vote of the voting members present.  At our last meeting an endorsement was defeated by one vote.  A motion to reconsider was deemed out of order because it was not made by a member of the "prevailing side", i.e., the 'nays'.  Now they are trying to call a special meeting to reconsider the issue.  My contention is that reconsideration of the question must still be raised by the prevailing side.  The opposing side says that since it is a new meeting, the restriction does not apply.  Who is correct?

Although the vote by which this motion was defeated cannot be reconsidered, it doesn't matter because the defeated motion can simply be made again (renewed).

The difference is that a "reconsideration" involves a formal motion "to reconsider" (with limits of who can make the motion to reconsider and when)   while "renew" means that anybody (NO previous Yea or Nay requirements) can make the same motion (that was defeated previously) at a later session/meeting. 

Well, among other things, when a vote is reconsidered the motion being reconsidered is brought back before the assembly in the same position it occupied the moment before it was voted on originally. This may mean that all sorts of things that happened during its original consideration may have an effect upon its reconsideration. This is not at all the case when a motion is renewed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.