The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revoke Membership

charity chief

I have 2 members in our not for profit organization who have done much to disrupt proceedings for the last 6 months, and in one case, longer. They have spewed vitriolic articles on the internet, on their website, also sending out to the members. Other than a bit of election fraud, the worst thing they have done is send out emails to the members that are full of lies, falsehoods and spin. Our Ethics rules in the by-laws specifically say  " shall refuse to knowingly provide or pass on false information." Also " shall conduct themselves with proper decorum" . As I see it, and I have mountains of proof, with emails and articles etc, they have broken both rules. We, the board, want to revoke their memberships. Are there any particular guidelines we should take in order to do this?

7 minutes ago, charity chief said:

I have 2 members in our not for profit organization who have done much to disrupt proceedings for the last 6 months, and in one case, longer. They have spewed vitriolic articles on the internet, on their website, also sending out to the members. Other than a bit of election fraud, the worst thing they have done is send out emails to the members that are full of lies, falsehoods and spin. Our Ethics rules in the by-laws specifically say  " shall refuse to knowingly provide or pass on false information." Also " shall conduct themselves with proper decorum" . As I see it, and I have mountains of proof, with emails and articles etc, they have broken both rules. We, the board, want to revoke their memberships. Are there any particular guidelines we should take in order to do this?

Well, first of all you need to determine if your organization's governing documents give your board the power to expel these disruptive members. Nothing in RONR gives your board this power.

1 hour ago, charity chief said:

No there is nothing in the by-laws to prescribe disciplinary procedures of members, only officers.  It also says that that if there isn't a by-law for something then Roberts rules apply.

In this event, the board lacks the authority to discipline members of the society. That power rests with the general membership. Disciplinary procedures are discussed in Ch. XX of RONR, 11th ed. Since the conduct at issue occurred outside of a meeting, you should refer in particular to pgs. 649-650, 656-669.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.