The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending by laws

Guest Doug

According to our bylaws there are 2 ways for them to be amended.

First is a member in good standing can write a resolution, have 25 other members in good standing read it & sign it. Then it is submitted to the body. It is read at 2 consecutive meetings (meetings are held monthly) with no action taken or discussion. On the third meeting it is read again then there is discussion & it may or may not be modified as written. Then it is voted on by secret ballet & it either passes or is rejected by majority vote.

The second way is our executive board is tasked to review them yearly & bring the changes to the body. A 10 day notice is given to the body about the proposed changes to the bylaws. They are discussed at the meeting. The proposed changes can not be amended or changed. They must be accepted or rejected as they are presented to the body by the executive board. Then they are voted on by secret ballot & either passes or rejected by a majority vote.

Our by laws have been this way for 30 + years. Is there anything about the second way they are amended (proposed changes by the executive board) that is not legal, or is not proper.

I understand that normally it would be a 2/3 majority vote, I just wanted to give the facts.

Thank you for your time.

1 minute ago, Guest Doug said:

Our by laws have been this way for 30 + years. Is there anything about the second way they are amended (proposed changes by the executive board) that is not legal, or is not proper.

I understand that normally it would be a 2/3 majority vote, I just wanted to give the facts.

Your bylaws are allowed to make any provisions for their own amendment that the organization wishes, so far as parliamentary procedure is concerned. We all might have opinions (which are like some bodyparts, I suppose) about whether or not the second method is a good idea, but an amendment process cannot be wrong. However, you asked if it is legal, and we can't answer that since we don't answer legal questions here. So far as parliamentary procedure is concerned, it's fine, and if it were changed, it would still be fine (so long as it was changed by one of the two methods currently prescribed in your bylaws).

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
2 hours ago, Guest Doug said:

Is there anything about the second way they are amended (proposed changes by the executive board) that is not legal, or is not proper.

I agree that your bylaws may provide any mechanism whatsoever for their amendment and following that mechanism is proper. However, precluding the possibility of amendment violates the spirit of deliberative action, and, in my opinion, places your executive board on a pedestal which it may not deserve.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.