The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reprimand Members

Guest Alabama

15 minutes ago, Guest Alabama said:

How do your reprimand a member for admitting to "trying to sabotage" voting on new members ?

Adopt a motion to that effect.

11 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

See Chapter XX, unless your bylaws contain their own disciplinary procedures. Also, how does one sabotage voting on new members?

If all that is desired is to reprimand the member, I don’t think that formal disciplinary procedures are necessary.

Guest Ask Member to Resign?

A member admitted that her "posy" or group got together to sabotage voting process for prospective members by each voting NO and then challenged the President on the way she conducts the process and who she chose to be tellers for the counting of the votes.

At the time, it only took 5 NO votes for a prospective member to be denied membership. We have since changed our bylaws to reflect Majority in favor of prospective members.

The following month, the same prospective members were put up again and voted on. They each passed and were asked to join the organization.

The member that tried to sabotage the voting process, called the President, admitted she and her 'posy' voted No for the members to join, and said it was a "test to the organizations voting process and tellers".

This member is a menace to the society and causing hostility within the organization. What is the proper way of handling such member? Can we ask the member to resign?

You can ask anyone to do anything. Whether the member does so is another story.

None of what you've described, though, sounds to me like sabotage. Members have the right to vote, and to vote in a coordinated way. As for challenging the process for appointing tellers, well, it might be better to simply make a motion ahead of time about how tellers are appointed, but asking about it is not improper if the rules of decorum are followed.

You say the member "admitted" to voting no, but so what? On a yes/no question, both answers are permissible.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I'm not a member of your organization. You can ask her to do whatever you want to ask her, but if you want to kick her out, you'll need to follow the disciplinary process, either in your bylaws or in RONR.

Guest Input heard & appreciated

There is always more to the story, especially when you have multiple people involved. The member is blatantly obvious at her disproval of certain things and has caused some turmoil, however, she is an active participant, good or bad. Thank you for your input and I appreciate your responses.

Of course, but you'll need to say more in the disciplinary process. If I were asked to vote on discipline, and the complaint said that the member had voted no on a motion and questioned the appointment of tellers, I know how I'd vote, if no further evidence were presented. I'm sure there is more evidence, so if you do go the disciplinary route, I'd recommend being sure to include it.

2 hours ago, Guest Ask Member to Resign? said:

A member admitted that her "posy" or group got together to sabotage voting process for prospective members by each voting NO and then challenged the President on the way she conducts the process and who she chose to be tellers for the counting of the votes.

At the time, it only took 5 NO votes for a prospective member to be denied membership. We have since changed our bylaws to reflect Majority in favor of prospective members.

The following month, the same prospective members were put up again and voted on. They each passed and were asked to join the organization.

The member that tried to sabotage the voting process, called the President, admitted she and her 'posy' voted No for the members to join, and said it was a "test to the organizations voting process and tellers".

This member is a menace to the society and causing hostility within the organization. What is the proper way of handling such member? Can we ask the member to resign?

Resignation is a voluntary act. The member can be asked to resign, but the member is free to refuse. If the assembly wishes to remove the member, check first to see if your bylaws say anything on that subject. If not, see Section 63 of RONR. Whether the member’s behavior warrants discipline is up to the assembly to determine.

Your original question asked about reprimanding the member. A reprimand (or censure, motion of no confidence, etc.) is simply a formal expression of disapproval and would not have the effect of removing the member.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.