The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected offices

Guest Gary Karns

We have a general membership where everyone can vote on all items but unless you live nearby, you can not hold office. The reason is available to the building/alarm. Several that live outside the area are present for events in most cases more than people that live near by. I guess the question is if if it is a general membership, shouldn't all members have the same choices to hold office as the same as others? I can't seem to find anything giving me guidance about this. THANK YOU!

That is the general principle in RONR, that all members are equal and have the same rights to, for example, hold office.

So this rule must be in your bylaws and must have been a decision made  by your organization previously, presumably for what they thought at the time was a good reason. You are perfectly free to propose an amendment to your bylaws by following the procedures that they list to do so.

Agreeing with my colleagues, I would that RONR contains a simple statement of the basic rights of members, which is as follows:

"A member of an assembly, in the parliamentary sense, as mentioned above, is a person entitled to full participation in its proceedings, that is, as explained in 3 and 4, the right to attend meetings, to make motions, to speak in debate, and to vote. No member can be individually deprived of these basic rights of membership—or of any basic rights concomitant to them, such as the right to make nominations or to give previous notice of a motion—except through disciplinary proceedings" (RONR pg. 3, ll. 1-9)

Note that the right to hold office is not among these - and in fact, the bylaws of assemblies quite often include requirements beyond "membership" as qualifications to hold an office, or a particular office. It's just a matter of clearly stating (in bylaws) what those are. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.