The Official RONR Q & A Forums

individual having 2 votes

Joanne Addison

In our larger group, both members-at-large and committee chairs hold a vote.  If the same person holds two positions, member-at-large and committee chair, is that person entitled to 2 votes in the larger group?  This seems very problematic but I can't find anything specific about it in RONR (our bylaws don't address this specific situation but do say we defer to RONR in such situations).  I realize it would be helpful if the person in question were simply willing to give up a position for the greater good but I doubt that will happen.

14 minutes ago, Joanne Addison said:

If the same person holds two positions, member-at-large and committee chair, is that person entitled to 2 votes in the larger group?  

No. One person, one vote. As one of our members used to say, "you count heads, not hats".  The fact that a person might wear two hats does not entitle him to two votes. 

5 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

As one of our regulars used to say, you count heads, not hats.

5 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

As one of our members used to say, "you count heads, not hats".

Interesting that we'd say this simultaneously, despite being in different time zones. Quite an instance of minds thinking alike.

3 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Interesting that we'd say this simultaneously, despite being in different time zones. Quite an instance of minds thinking alike.

I know! The same thing happened one or two days ago when Weldon Merritt and I made almost simultaneous lengthy posts responding to several comments by the original poster. We picked up on the same points and made almost identical comments about them at just about exactly the same time. In that case, I think I posted just a few seconds before him. This time, you posted a few seconds before me. Creepy... but it IS Halloween!! 👻

41 minutes ago, Joanne Addison said:

If the same person holds two positions, member-at-large and committee chair, is that person entitled to 2 votes in the larger group?  This seems very problematic but I can't find anything specific about it in RONR

Joanne, you might take a look at the top of page 407 of the 11th edition of RONR.  It says the following:

ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE. It is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that each person who is a member of a deliberative assembly is entitled to one—and only one—vote on a question. This is true even if a person is elected or appointed to more than one position, each of which would entitle the holder to a vote. For example, in a convention, a person selected as delegate by more than one constituent body may cast only one vote.  (Emphasis added)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.