The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointing positions for a municipality

Guest Elizabeth Hebert

Guest Elizabeth Hebert

I recently attended our town meeting.  At this meeting they needed to reappoint the Town Clerk, Lawyer, Auditing firm, Town Superintendant and Town engineer.  They presented it to the council as a package vote.  Is this legal?  I feel each position should be voted on so that the citizens see who is voting for whom.  Also at the meetings the mayor will say all in favor say I.  Some don't even raise their hand or open their mouth but is counted as saying yes.  Is this legal?

We can't speak as to "legal" here and for a legal answer you would need to ask a lawyer.  However, generally speaking (subject to applicable rules or law) a member of the Council can demand that the question of each appointment be considered separately (RONR pp. 274-275). Also, I strongly suspect that counting anyone who abstains (doesn't vote one way or another) as a "yes" vote is not proper but you will need to look to any applicable rules and laws to know for sure.

I'm not convinced that those who are silent are being counted as voting Yes. Assuming that the chair is calling for the negative vote, it is likely that those indicating Yes are more than those indicating No. That is all that is required and makes no assumption about those who are silent. I have seen this occur on several municipal councils and their subsidiary boards/committees.

5 hours ago, Guest Elizabeth Hebert said:

Also at the meetings the mayor will say all in favor say [Aye].  Some don't even raise their hand or open their mouth but is counted as saying yes.  Is this legal?

If, as you describe it, this is a voice vote, and the chair announces "The Aye's have it," how do we know that those who kept silent were "counted" as saying yes when it was not a "counted" vote?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.