The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict between board members

Guest Totti

In our bylaws, it specifies that if two board members have a conflict with each other, then they should deal with it directly meaning not through email, but face-to-face, or in executive session.

My question is: the person I’m having a problem with is the board president. Does she retain her position of power as this conflict is attempting to be resolved?  

Can she announce that they’re not going spend any time on allowing me to state my case?

Can she do anything to suppress this process, or to silence me?

Since this involves her she should turn over the chair to the Vice President while this issue is being addressed (RONR pp. 451-453).  If she refuses to do so you should move to Suspend the Rules and have the VP preside (RONR pp. 651-653) or better yet have an ally make the motion and hopefully you will have enough allies to back you up.

1 hour ago, Guest Totti said:

In our bylaws, it specifies that if two board members have a conflict with each other, then they should deal with it directly meaning not through email, but face-to-face, or in executive session.

What exactly does this mean? Who is “they” referring to in this sentence? Is it referring to the board as a whole, or to the two board members who have the conflict? I assume in the responses below that it refers to the board. If it is the two board members, however, this has no parallel in RONR, so you will need to refer to your own rules and customs to answer these questions.

My question is: the person I’m having a problem with is the board president. Does she retain her position of power as this conflict is attempting to be resolved?  

She should relinquish the chair, and if she fails to do so, the rules may be suspended by a 2/3 vote to remove her from the chair.

Can she announce that they’re not going spend any time on allowing me to state my case?

No, unless your rules provide otherwise.

Edited by Josh Martin

2 hours ago, Guest Totti said:

14 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

No, unless your rules provide otherwise.

Or unless the other board members are afraid to stand up to her and enforce the rules.  You need at least a majority vote to prevail on an appeal from the ruling of the chair and a two thirds vote to remove her from presiding.  You can make all of the points of order you want to, but unless the other members support you or she concedes that you are correct, it may be, um, "pointless".  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.