The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple offices held

ourhaven2

I was thinking of adding that, but didn't want to complicate my answer. 

2 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

They can ... vote in the capacity of the office the person originally had.

Just to clarify that I think you mean that the person "filling in" is only entitled to vote as the person they actually are, not as if they actually had the role / position they're filling in for.

3 hours ago, ourhaven2 said:

Our constitution states President will appoint, but until such appointment would this be acceptable?

I am extremely uncomfortable with any such idea. What happens if the president comes into this person's office and barks out "Who in the heck are you?" Then what happens? "Oh, hello prez. I'm Sam Hill." Yeah, right. This is going to go down real well.

13 hours ago, ourhaven2 said:

In a nonprofit association can a position be held by another officer until vacancy is filled?  Our constitution states President will appoint, but until such appointment would this be acceptable?  Please list page number in 11th edition.  Thanks so much.

Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, the President could simply appoint this person to serve in the office unless and until someone else wishes to serve in it. There is no prohibition in RONR against serving in two offices.

“The assembly is free, however, to elect the same person to another office on a subsequent ballot, unless the bylaws prohibit a person from holding both offices simultaneously.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 440)

13 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

Until the President makes the appointment to fill the vacancy, someone else (or more than one person) can volunteer ( or be volun-told) to do the work that is necessary. They don't need the title.

I am not certain of this. I think it depends on what exactly the bylaws say regarding the duties and authority if this position. It is not clear to me that all authority of a position can be properly exercised by someone who does not actually hold the position.

10 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

I am extremely uncomfortable with any such idea. What happens if the president comes into this person's office and barks out "Who in the heck are you?" Then what happens? "Oh, hello prez. I'm Sam Hill." Yeah, right. This is going to go down real well.

I expect the concern is that the OP believes it is not permissible for one person to serve in multiple officer positions, not that the President is opposed to this person serving (or “filling in”).

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

It is not clear to me that all authority of a position can be properly exercised by someone who does not actually hold the position.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I wasn't speaking of all the powers and authority of the position; I spoke of doing "the work that is necessary". The basic minimum that is required.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, ourhaven2 said:

In a nonprofit association can a position be held by another officer until vacancy is filled?  Our constitution states President will appoint, but until such appointment would this be acceptable?  Please list page number in 11th edition.  Thanks so much.

If the President has not yet appointed someone, then what is the mechanism by which the position would be assigned to another officer?  It seems to me that any procedure like this would have to be in the bylaws, and would have to state who decides on the temporary assignment.  If it's the President, what's the point of such a two-step process?

Edited by Gary Novosielski
/=/-/

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.